Mr. Hawkins' practice includes arbitration and litigation in domestic and international courts and tribunals. Over the past eight years, Mr. Hawkins has devoted the bulk of his time to international commercial arbitrations in London, Washington, D.C., Africa, and Latin America. Mr. Hawkins also has extensive experience in U.S. trial and appellate litigation.
- Lead counsel in a pending ICSID case against the Government of Argentina, asserting a $110 million claim for violations of the U.S.-Argentine Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Lead counsel for a European state electricity company in an arbitration proceeding against the government of a neighboring country involving breaches of the Energy Charter Treaty and a bilateral, state-to-state agreement.
- Lead counsel for East African state electricity company in an ICSID proceeding against developer/operator of a power station.
- Lead counsel for African national petroleum company in an ICC proceeding arising out of termination of a crude oil supply agreement.
- Lead counsel in an ICC proceeding representing the Chinese subsidiary of a U.S. company against Israeli manufacturer of state-of-the-art telecommunications equipment.