Emily’s practice focuses on complex employment and wage and hour litigation.
Emily’s practice focuses on the representation of employers in complex employment litigation, with particular emphasis on employment discrimination class actions, California and FLSA wage and hour class and collective actions, complex whistleblower litigation and unfair competition and employee raiding litigation. She also has extensive experience with electronic discovery matters, advising clients on ESI issues in complex employment and wage and hour matters. In addition to her litigation practice, Emily also regularly counsels clients on employment-related matters such as employment contracts and noncompetition agreements, wage and hour compliance, reductions-in-force, and preventive counseling and training.
Emily serves on the firm’s national diversity committee and is a fellow of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce Leadership-LA Program. She is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Central, Southern, Eastern, and Northern Districts of California, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and Eleventh Circuits, the United States District Courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia, and the Superior, Appellate and Supreme Courts of California and Georgia.
- Defended numerous California and other state wage and hour putative class actions, including trying representative proof class and collective actions to jury verdict.
- Co-trial counsel in jury trial win for a major food-processing company in wage and hour Rule 23 class and FLSA collective action trial.
- Defended numerous putative collective actions under the FLSA, including on behalf of clients in the retail, food processing and pharmaceutical industries.
- Represented management in employment contract and tort disputes, including actions involving the enforcement of non-compete and non-solicitation covenants, misappropriation of trade secrets and tortious interference with contractual and business relations.
- Defended numerous civil lawsuits, arbitrations, and Department of Labor investigations into alleged violations of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act whistleblower protections for companies in the financial services, global engineering and management services industries, including first reported federal court summary judgment decision and defense verdict on first Sarbanes-Oxley claim tried before FINRA arbitration panel.
- Represented Fortune 100 manufacturing company in complex whistleblower action under California law.
- Extensive experience as electronic discovery counsel, including for multiple Fortune 100 companies.
- Defended numerous single- and multi-plaintiff harassment, discrimination and retaliation cases under state and federal law across the country, with particular experience in California and Georgia.
- Regularly advise and counsel clients on various employment matters, including workforce reductions, workplace investigations and compliance and preventative strategies under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, the California Family Rights Act (CFRA), the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), and the wage and hour provisions of the California Labor Code.