Jim advises health care clients on matters involving regulatory compliance (including fraud and abuse, licensure, health privacy and reimbursement issues), structuring of business transactions, corporate governance and tax-exempt status issues. He is a member of the firm’s Health Care Reform Initiative and Pro Bono Committee. Prior to law school, he served as a business development analyst for National Nephrology Associates, a privately held dialysis company is Nashville, TN, where he was responsible for market research, financial analysis and due diligence on the acquisition of 28 dialysis clinics with more than $90 million in net revenues.
- Advised clients on corporate, regulatory and nonprofit status issues related to acquisition and/or joint venture transactions involving a combined total of 12 hospitals, 20 ambulatory surgery centers, 30 outpatient rehab facilities, 5 radiation therapy centers and 34 imaging centers, as well transactions involving home health and laboratory service providers.
- Advised clients on physician practice acquisitions in cardiology, orthopedics, oncology and other specialties involving a combined total of more than 160 physicians.
- Advised clients on private placement offerings for hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers and co-management companies.
- Advised clients on investigations relating to fraud and abuse and billing issues and self-disclosure filings with governmental agencies.
- Regularly advise health care providers on contractual arrangements with physicians, including employment, recruitment, call coverage, quality management and other service agreements.
- Regularly advise health care providers on regulatory and compliance matters related to ongoing operations, including Stark, fraud and abuse, nonprofit status, licensure, Medicare and Medicaid participation, reimbursement and health privacy issues.