Jim's practice focuses on representation of healthcare providers in transactional, corporate, regulatory and compliance matters.
Jim advises healthcare clients on matters involving regulatory compliance (including fraud and abuse, licensure, health privacy and reimbursement issues), structuring of business transactions, corporate governance and tax-exempt status issues. He is a member of the firm’s Health Care Reform Initiative and Pro Bono Committee in Richmond. Prior to law school, Jim served as Business Development Analyst for National Nephrology Associates, a privately held dialysis company is Nashville, TN, where he was responsible for market research, financial analysis and due diligence on the acquisition of 28 dialysis clinics with over $90MM in net revenues.
- Advised clients on corporate, regulatory and nonprofit status issues related to acquisitions and/or joint venture arrangements involving a combined total of 8 hospitals, 15 ambulatory surgery centers, 30 outpatient rehab facilities, 5 radiation therapy centers and 33 imaging centers.
- Advised clients on physician practice acquisitions in cardiology, orthopedics, oncology and a variety of other specialties involving a combined total of more than 150 physicians.
- Advised clients on private placement offerings for hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers and co-management companies.
- Regularly advise healthcare providers on recruitment, call coverage, quality management and other contractual arrangements with physicians.
- Regularly advise healthcare providers on regulatory and compliance matters related to ongoing operations, including Stark, fraud and abuse, nonprofit status, licensure, Medicare and Medicaid participation, reimbursement and health privacy issues.