John is a partner on the National Business Torts and Product Liability Group and his practice focuses on business litigation, including products liability, toxic tort, asbestos, commercial and construction disputes. John represents clients nationally and serves as National Coordinating counsel for several clients in toxic tort cases.
He is admitted to practice in the US Supreme Court, US Court of Appeals, US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, US District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia, Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia, and the Supreme Court of Virginia, and was Law Clerk to The Hon. Richard L. Williams of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia from 1980-1981. He is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
- Lead trial counsel, 100 jury cases tried to verdict, state and federal courts.
- Lead counsel in over 15 reported state and federal decisions.
- National Trial Counsel for two Fortune 500 companies for asbestos litigation and National Strategic Counsel for multinational transportation company for asbestos litigation.
- National Coordinating Counsel for international manufacturer for vinyl chloride litigation.
- National Coordinating Counsel for national manufacturer for benzene litigation.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in toxic tort litigation brought by over 100 workers claiming fluoride and arsenic exposures caused significant personal injuries. Bell weather trial lasted a month in Arkansas state court and resulted in successful application of Daubert to plaintiffs’ expert case and ultimately to dismissal of all claims.
- Represented large state university in catastrophic personal injury and death claims resulting from a fraternity-organized trip in which 61 people were involved; handled two successful jury trials and one Supreme Court appeal arising from the accident.
- Represented successfully one of the world's largest real estate management firms in defending against claims of fraudulent transfer of loan security in a multi-day trial and in an appeal to the Virginia Supreme Court.
- Appointed by Governor of Virginia to a blue ribbon commission charged with studying the future of the Commonwealth of Virginia, the report of which dealt with state and local taxation, economic development, transportation, and race relations.