Sam’s practice focuses on litigation, with an emphasis on government regulatory advice, internal investigations, corporate compliance, business torts, contract and partnership disputes, international arbitration, cross border disputes, products liability and intellectual property. He has particular experience advising financial institutions, petroleum companies, closely held private corporations, Fortune 500 and multinational corporations in connection with matters related to operations in the Americas and the Caribbean.
Sam’s experience in domestic and international arbitration includes representation of clients before the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and in international arbitrations administered by both the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the AAA's International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), including full evidentiary hearings.
Sam serves as the firm’s head of litigation. Sam has trial experience in federal and state courts and has counseled clients through multijurisdictional disputes. Sam is a member of the American Bar Association, the Cuban American Bar Association, the Hispanic National Bar Association and the Dade County (Florida) Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida. After earning his law degree, Sam served as a law clerk for the Honorable K. Michael Moore in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Represented a top European bank in connection with lawsuits and arbitration filed on behalf of bank customers seeking recovery from the estate of Madoff’s brokerage firm related to an alleged international Ponzi scheme.
- Represented a US financial institution in a securities fraud class action filed on behalf of South American individuals who invested in an alleged Ponzi scheme in Florida.
- Represented a large multinational beverage distributor involved in disputes over non-payment of stock.
- Represented leading multinational companies in connection with disputes arising from operations in South and Central America, including civil RICO claims.
- Represented a big four accounting firm in defending a claim of malpractice.
- Represented a Fortune 500 manufacturer in defense of a national product liability class action.
- Represented a Fortune 500 cosmetic company in connection with a state attorney general investigation.
- Represented an international corporation in connection with an advertising contract dispute.
- Represents various financial institutions in regulatory matters, securities litigation and litigation over distressed debt.
- Substantial experience representing petroleum franchisors in Petroleum Marketing Practices Act matters and petroleum pricing matters.
- Conducted internal investigations and corporate compliance reviews for various Fortune 500 companies.
- Defended a US manufacturer of fertilizer in false patent marking cases as well as general contract disputes.
- Represented a Fortune 500 trademark holder in numerous lawsuits against counterfeiters, including obtaining favorable settlements involving insurers.