The business litigation practice at Hunton & Williams LLP has the collective knowledge, background and extensive trial experience required to help businesses and individuals identify and manage potential risks, respond to existing or threatened litigation, and pursue resolution in every available venue. Our lawyers represent clients in federal district and appellate courts and in state courts across the country, particularly along the Eastern seaboard from Florida to Maine, in Georgia, California and Texas, and also throughout the Midwest. In 2012, we won a key US Supreme Court decision invalidating the first three state laws to prohibit the gathering and distribution of data for targeted marketing — and, in the process, recovered the largest known multimillion dollar attorneys' fee award in a First Amendment case in US history, significantly reducing our clients' costs associated with the dispute.
We advise clients in the full scope of business disputes, including the following areas:
- Business-to-business litigation
- Class action and consumer litigation defense
- Contract disputes and Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) matters
- Defamation/First Amendment issues
- Distributorship/franchising disputes
- False advertising
- False Claims Act
- Fiduciary disputes, accountant liability and professional malpractice
- Non-compete, trade secrets and confidentiality agreements
- Real estate/construction disputes
- Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO)
- Tax litigation
- Tortious interference and commercial fraud
- Unfair business practices
We represent clients in virtually every sector of the economy, including financial services, energy and natural resources, health care, pharmaceuticals, retail, telecommunications, technology, e-commerce, manufacturing and more. We also advise foreign entities with operations, investments and strategic alliances in the United States, including representation of a European bank in a series of class-action lawsuits arising out of investments related to Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities and consolidated by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
In disputes where the effect on company stakeholders is just as important as the "courtroom story," we regularly draw on the experience of our in house and external public relations professionals. In developing effective risk-avoidance and litigation strategy, we work closely with lawyers from the firm's key commercial practices, including corporate, securities, environmental, labor and employment, and intellectual property law, to deliver issue- and industry-focused counsel. Our cross disciplinary strength is one of the many reasons the firm's litigation practice and individual trial lawyers are highly ranked by industry and legal publications such as Chambers USA, The Legal 500 and Legal Elite, 2012 and 2013.
Additional representative experience includes:
- Represented major electronics manufacturer and American distributor in consumer class action alleging defect in high-definition televisions.
- Representing trade association in federal lawsuit challenging activists' fraud and Lanham Act violations, including misappropriation of association's website software to misdirect traffic to a fake website with confusingly similar name, and other inappropriate uses of the association’s name and logo. Successfully brought claim in National Arbitration Forum to recover rights to fake domain name.'
- Developed strategy for client to pursue domestic and international litigation in multiple states and countries in the event that an Internet-based group released client's confidential data.
- Currently serving as lead trial counsel for a national supermarket chain in defense of a class action alleging that the company charges sales tax on certain allegedly tax-exempt items.
- Represented one of the United States' largest mortgage servicers in litigation initiated by a hedge fund investor in subprime mortgage residuals.
- Defending a national bank in its capacity as trustee for a funding facility in claims including conversion, civil theft and an application for a preliminary injunction to protect, preserve and, ultimately, collect more than $1 billion of funds that were misappropriated.
- Defended an alcoholic beverage manufacturer in an industrywide class action related to advertising of spirits.
- Represented several utility companies in suit brought by Native Alaskan village for damage alleged to be caused by global warming.
- Represented a leading homebuilder in a nationwide consumer class action filed in California wherein the plaintiffs alleged that the homebuilder engages in fraudulent business and advertising practices related to its marketing and sale of new homes.
- Represented a multinational bank in two putative class actions wherein the plaintiffs sought to recover more than $200 million on behalf of depositors who were allegedly victimized by the bank’s role in a Ponzi scheme.
- Represented the national power company of the Republic of Croatia in an International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) arbitration filed against the Republic of Slovenia.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest health insurers in multiple consumer class actions throughout the United States. The cases alleged a variety of violations of policy terms, federal and state statutory law and common law.
- Represented the leading multinational beverage manufacturer and distributor in a RICO action filed by the Republic of Colombia alleging a money laundering and smuggling scheme.
- Successfully defended a consumer products company against claims of patent infringement, breach of confidentiality agreement, and misappropriation of trade secrets, including partial summary judgment and directed verdict on all remaining claims at trial.
- Successfully defended a consumer products company against claims for trademark infringement, breach of confidential relationship, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, fraudulent concealment, negligent misrepresentation, trade dress infringement, unfair competition and deceptive trade practices brought by product manufacturer, including partial summary judgment, and post-trial judgment as a matter of law on all remaining claims.
- Represented major retailer in successfully defending claims for trademark infringement and false advertising brought by product manufacturer.
- Successfully defended major retailer against product manufacturer's claims for trademark infringement and false advertising.
- Represented student loan agency in False Claims Act case alleging recycling of loan portfolio.
- Represented retailer in antitrust and tortious interference case involving a shopping center.
- Represented prestigious scientific organization in protecting confidentiality of internal documents.
- Represented retailer in conjunction with settlement of its building because of the improperly prepared embankment on which the facility was constructed.
- Represented major financial institution and trusts in defending claims for undue influence and breach of fiduciary duty in multiweek trial of will contest and trust contest case, after obtaining summary judgment on tortious interference with inheritance claims before trial.
- Defended trust beneficiaries and their trusts against claims brought by beneficiaries' half-sisters seeking in excess of $100 million arising out of deceased father's alleged contract to make a will.
- Represented investors in asserting Texas Securities Act claim arising out of purchase of interest in luxury resort development in the Bahamas.