Lawyers at Hunton & Williams LLP have counseled dozens of clients on e-commerce and Internet issues covering an extensive range of technologies, from classic web-enabled commerce to leading edge innovations, including:
- represented one of the world's leading toy and baby products retailers in the global expansion of its e-commerce and web hosting arrangements with eBay Enterprise / GSI;
- represented the e-commerce fulfillment division of a global apparel retailer in its agreements with its customers (including another leading e-commerce fulfillment provider and an Internet Retailer Top 100 firm);
- represented a Fortune 200 consumer products company in its e-commerce and fulfillment agreements with PFSweb;
- represented one of the world’s largest financial institutions in connection with its participation in an innovative mobile payments platform;
- represented a leading global provider of in-home movie and game entertainment in connection with its web hosting arrangement with a leading telco;
- the launch of a user-generated content website for a global furniture and home accessories retailer, including analysis of issues unique to user-provided content and generation of custom terms and conditions;
- the launch of SMS (text message) marketing campaigns by a leading global cosmetics firm, including contracting and analysis and advice with respect to applicable regulations and self-regulatory guidelines;
- sweepstakes and promotions, including contracting for on-line sponsorship of one of the most successful reality-based television shows of the Summer 2006 season and analysis of related advertising and disclosures and official sweepstakes rules, as well as advice and counseling on registration, bonding and compliance issues under applicable state laws;
- intellectual property issues relating to the use of emerging communications and networking devices for on-line advertising, market research and e-commerce, including cell phone-based purchasing and advertising technologies;
- “viral video” marketing (e.g., YouTube placements) by one of the world’s largest consumer computer hardware manufacturers; and
- blog-based and “word of mouth” advertising, including campaigns for a major US retailer and a global cosmetics firm.
We are familiar with the leading e-commerce and mobile commerce business models, technologies, service providers and consultancies, as well as applicable regulations, industry standards and operating rules, including the FTC Telemarketing Sales Rule, PCI DSS and the DMA’s Guidelines for Ethical Business Practice. Importantly, we work closely with our award-winning privacy and cybersecurity team to solve the complex challenges associated with global flows of consumer and payment-related data.