Carter represents clients in federal appellate and district court litigation, and in agency rulemakings and other regulatory matters. Representative clients include companies and trade associations in the electric generation, manufacturing, and transportation industries; banks and other financial institutions; waste management firms; and developers.
A significant portion of Carter’s practice involves the handling of environmental aspects of complex business transactions, including due diligence, and drafting and negotiation of transaction documents. Her recent work has included advising tax equity investors on environmental matters related to numerous wind and other renewable energy projects, and advising corporate clients regarding environmental aspects of business acquisitions. Carter also has experience representing clients involved in environmental commodities trading. She has a background in corporate and transactional law.
Carter is admitted to practice in the US Courts of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, the Sixth Circuit, and the Eleventh Circuit, and the US District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Represents investors and lenders in environmental matters in connection with the development and acquisition of major energy facilities (including coal, gas, wind, and geothermal).
- Represented electric utility group in the US Supreme Court and the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in litigation involving the scope of and limits on the Environmental Protection Agency’s authority under the Clean Air Act to regulate emissions to address interstate air quality.
- Represented land owning companies in Endangered Species Act litigation resulting in favorable precedent-setting appellate court decision.
- Represented international manufacturing company in CERCLA litigation involving a major industrial site.
- Has represented utility and other industry clients in litigation under the Clean Air Act, Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act, Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act, and National Environmental Policy Act.
- Represents electric utility and other industry clients in rulemakings under the Clean Air Act.
- Drafts and negotiates verified emission reduction purchase agreements (VERPAs) and renewable energy certificate (REC) purchase agreements for both buyers and sellers.