Representative clients include companies and trade associations in the electric generation, manufacturing and transportation industries. She has been admitted to practice in the US Courts of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, the Sixth Circuit, and the Eleventh Circuit, and the US District Court for the District of Columbia.
Carter also has experience representing clients involved in emission reduction and renewable energy projects, and emissions trading. She has a background in corporate and transactional law.
- Represented electric utility group in the US Supreme Court and the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in litigation involving the scope of and limits on the Environmental Protection Agency’s authority under the Clean Air Act to regulate emissions to address interstate air quality.
- Represented land owning companies in Endangered Species Act litigation resulting in favorable precedent-setting appellate court decision.
- Represented international manufacturing company in CERCLA litigation involving a major industrial site.
- Represents investors and lenders in environmental matters in connection with the development and acquisition of major energy facilities (including coal, gas, and wind).
- Represents industry clients in litigation under the CAA, ESA, CWA, CERCLA, and NEPA.
- Represents industry clients in rulemakings under the CAA.
- Drafts and negotiates verified emission reduction purchase agreements (VERPAs) and renewable energy certificate (REC) purchase agreements for both buyers and sellers.