Emily’s practice focuses on the representation of employers in complex employment litigation, with particular emphasis on California and FLSA wage and hour class and collective actions, California representative PAGA actions, employment discrimination class actions, and complex whistleblower litigation. She also has extensive experience with electronic discovery matters, advising clients on ESI issues in complex employment and wage and hour matters. In addition to her litigation practice, Emily regularly counsels clients on employment-related matters such as employment contracts and noncompetition agreements, wage and hour compliance, reductions-in-force, and preventive counseling and training.
Emily is a contributing author to the Hunton Employment & Labor Law Perspectives blog. She also serves on the firm’s national associates committee and is a fellow of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce Leadership-LA Program. She is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States District Courts for the Central, Southern, Eastern, and Northern Districts of California, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and Eleventh Circuits, the United States District Courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia, and the Superior, Appellate and Supreme Courts of California and Georgia.
- Trial counsel in four recent representative proof Rule 23 class and FLSA collective action cases tried to verdict.
- Defended numerous state wage and hour putative class and FLSA collective actions on behalf of clients in the retail, manufacturing, food processing, financial services, pharmaceutical, and theatre industries.
- Obtained dismissals of representative California PAGA claims based on exhaustion, manageability and ascertainability grounds.
- Represented management in employment contract and tort disputes, including actions involving the enforcement of non-compete and non-solicitation covenants, misappropriation of trade secrets and tortious interference with contractual and business relations.
- Defended numerous state and federal civil lawsuits, arbitrations, and Department of Labor investigations into alleged whistleblower violations.
- Defended numerous single- and multi-plaintiff harassment, discrimination and retaliation cases under state and federal law across the country, with particular experience in California.
- Regularly advise and counsel clients on various employment matters, including workforce reductions, workplace investigations and compliance and preventative strategies under the California Family Rights Act (CFRA), the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), the wage and hour provisions of the California Labor Code, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and the Family Medical Leave Act.