Doug guides clients through acquisition, finance and other business transactions. He is an experienced negotiator and takes an innovative approach to advising clients on their business objectives.
Doug is the managing partner of the firm's Richmond office. His practice focuses on business transactions, generally, with a specific focus on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance transactions. Doug has substantial experience working with UK based companies (both public and private) and their lawyers, accountants and bankers in connection with US and multinational acquisitions. Doug has experienced the different expectations in the transaction process and is able to proactively and creatively advise regarding legal, business and practical solutions to the unique issues affecting a foreign investor in the US. Doug has been recognized as a BTI Client All Star, an award based on absolute best ratings from corporate counsel for client focus, exceptional understanding of the client's business, outstanding results, delivering efficient value added services and legal skills.
- Coordinated and handled initial acquisitions and strategic acquisition programs across the United States for several UK-owned companies.
- Structured and negotiated the mandated sale of a major US subsidiary of a UK public company, involving a sale followed by a bankruptcy, the retention of a substantial minority interest, and a Seller-sponsored DIP loan facility.
- Handled US-aspects of UK private equity led management buy-outs by spin-off and by tender offer.
- Negotiated $1.5 billion committed funds facility for UK tender offer.
- Implementation of multinational tax structures.
- Acquisition, financing, restructuring and sale of landfill gas projects.
- Representation of regional, national and foreign banks, as agent bank and single lender, in numerous secured and unsecured credit facilities for general working capital, acquisitions and recapitalizations, for borrowers in the media and telecommunications, public utility, tobacco, insurance, railroad and healthcare industries.