Miki’s practice focuses on project finance and development, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and general corporate law.
Miki’s practice focuses on project finance and development, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and general corporate law. She has experience in advising financial institutions and companies regarding project finance and development, cross-border investments, strategic alliances, global securities offerings and US securities matters.
Miki joined the firm from Japan Bank for International Cooperation (“JBIC”), where she served as Deputy Director within the bank's legal and project finance departments. She has worked on power, energy and natural resources projects in various geographic regions, including Asia Pacific, Latin America and North America.
Miki was seconded from the firm to International Power - GDF SUEZ’s (now ENGIE’s) Asia regional headquarters in Bangkok in 2012. During the secondment, she dealt with a wide variety of issues concerning the company’s power projects in Indonesia, Pakistan, Singapore and Thailand.
Prior to joining JBIC, she practiced for 5 years in Tokyo with a major US international law firm where she worked extensively with large Japanese corporations and financial institutions on capital markets and cross-border M&A matters. She is a Japanese national and has a deep understanding of Japanese business practices, as well as policies and practices of JBIC and other ECAs and multilateral development banks.
- Represented JBIC, Nippon Export and Investment Insurance (NEXI) and a group of commercial banks on a $4.369 billion senior secured project debt finance for Train 1 of a multi-train natural gas liquefaction and export facilities project in Freeport, Texas.
- Represented Mitsubishi Corporation as project counsel in its acquisition of an approximately 34% equity interest in Mareña Renovables, a $1 billion 396 MW wind power generation project located in Mexico.
- Represented Chubu Electric in its acquisition of equity interests in a project company developing 6 solar power projects under Thailand’s VSPP Program.
- Represented Marubeni Corporation in its consortium arrangements and contracting for major government sponsored power plant developments in South East Asia.
- Represented a Japanese trading house in connection with post-construction resolution of price adjustment and cost claims among owner, EPC consortium members and sub-contractors in Thailand.
- Represented Reliance Power Ltd. in its development and financing of the $4.2 billion 4,000MW Sasan power project in India.
- Advised JBIC in connection with financings for the development and expansion of various thermal power plant projects in Indonesia and the Philippines.
- Advised JBIC in connection with the financing for the expansion of the Panama Canal to build a new lane of traffic to enable the transit of post-Panamax size vessels.
- Advised JBIC in connection with the financing for various infrastructure projects in Brazil, including toll road and metro line projects.
- Advised JBIC in connection with financing for an ultra deepwater oil drillship project in Brazil.
- Advised JBIC in connection with financing for the acquisition of shale gas interests by a Japanese consortium in Canada.
- Advised JBIC in connection with financing for the acquisition of interests by a Japanese trading company of a zinc, lead and silver mine in Bolivia.
- Advised JBIC in connection with financing for the acquisition of interests by a Japanese trading company of a coal mine in Australia.
- Advised JBIC in connection with financing for the expansion of a copper mining project in Chile.
- Advised JBIC in connection with various export credit lines and trade finance facilities with local banks in South America.
- Represented leading Japanese companies as U.S. securities law counsel in connection with their global offerings of common stock.