Ryan’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and regulatory compliance.
Ryan regularly represents national retailers, manufacturers, and suppliers in complex commercial litigation and intellectual property matters, including consumer class actions, product liability litigation, mass tort actions, and employment disputes. Ryan also has significant experience with internal investigations. Ryan regularly practices in federal court and in the state courts of both North Carolina and South Carolina. He has handled multiple cases on appeal.
Ryan also routinely advises national clients on e-discovery and other electronic data storage issues in the context of litigation.
Ryan is an editor of and contributing author to the Hunton Retail Law Resource blog. While in law school, Ryan served as a summer clerk for the Solicitor General of North Carolina.
- Won rare summary judgment on all claims for national product supplier in complex commercial litigation.
- Successfully argued motion for partial directed verdict, following a two-week jury trial, disposing of breach of fiduciary duty claim against a trustee.
- Successfully argued summary judgment motion disposing of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and negligence claims against a national insurance company.
- Advised corporation concerning legal compliance in response to North Carolina Department of Justice inquiry, avoiding fines and statutory penalties.
- Coordinated confidential internal investigation into accounting practices for corporation following employee embezzlement.