Jim represents clients in a broad range of alternative asset investment transactions, with a particular emphasis on private fund formations, private equity, joint ventures, real estate capital markets, and related matters. Jim regularly represents private investment funds and their sponsors in all aspects of their businesses, including formations, structurings, offerings, investments, acquisitions, financings, divestitures and compliance matters. He advises institutional investors, including governmental and other benefit plans, on investments in private investment funds. Jim also represents a variety of real estate investment vehicles, including REITs, with respect to securities offerings, fund formations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, securities laws compliance and corporate governance.
Jim has been recognized as a leading lawyer by numerous business and legal publications, including Chambers USA. In addition to his work on behalf of clients, he has served as an adjunct professor on private equity topics at Washington and Lee University School of Law.
Jim’s recent experience includes his representation of:
- a Dallas based private equity firm in formation and offering of four private equity funds and related vehicles with more than combined $1.3 billion of capital commitments;
- a Dallas based private equity firm in the formation of a $140 million lower middle market private equity fund and related firm reorganization;
- a Chicago based private equity firm in establishing a new asset management platform and structuring and forming a $530 million private investment fund to acquire residential mortgage servicing rights;
- a New York based asset management firm in structuring, offering and closing a private investment fund to invest in single family homes on a national scale, including implementation of a REIT structure to accommodate offshore and tax exempt investors;
- a Charlotte based asset management firm in creating a joint venture to sponsor a distressed residential whole loan investment fund, and the joint venture in raising a $205 million fund to invest in distressed mortgage loans;
- senior executives in founding a New York based asset management platform and negotiating terms with hedge fund and private equity fund investors;
- an Ohio based apartment developer in creating a programmatic joint venture with a private equity investor;
- a New York based specialty finance company in developing a separate managed account to invest in litigation finance;
- a Connecticut based alternative asset management firm in establishing funds and other investment vehicles to invest in non-performing commercial and residential mortgage loans;
- a private equity advisory and fund of funds firm in establishing customized fund of funds for institutional investors; and
- a NYSE-listed hospitality REIT in a variety of public and private capital markets transactions raising aggregate funds in excess of $1 billion.