Ken has extensive experience in representing purchasers, sellers, investors and lenders in numerous mergers, acquisitions and corporate finance transactions involving both public and private companies in a wide range of industries.
A primary focus is renewable energy and other energy and industrial related projects and businesses. Ken represents a variety of developers, sponsors and investors in a broad range of renewable energy projects, including wind, solar, open-loop biomass, landfill gas, refined coal and geothermal projects and facilities. He has extensive experience in structuring and implementing tax equity and other investments in projects qualifying for Section 45 tax credits for the production of electricity from renewable resources. He also advises clients in designing investment vehicles for financing the development of portfolios of commercial and residential solar assets, geothermal and refined coal production facilities and other renewable energy projects.
Other energy and industrial related projects include M&A, project finance and commercial transactions involving coke batteries and coke production, pulverized coal injection facilities for steel production, steel industry fuel, automotive manufacturing, paper manufacturing and other large industrial facilities and power projects.
Ken has served in a number of leadership positions in the firm, including service on its Recruiting Committee and as the Hiring Partner for the Richmond office. He has served as an adjunct professor of corporate law at the University of Richmond and serves on boards of various charitable and educational organizations in and around Richmond.
Ken began his legal career in Atlanta and he has served in long-term assignments in the firm's Washington DC and New York offices, including a ten-month secondment as primary in-house counsel to the real estate syndication and advisory subsidiary of a major New York-based investment bank. Before law school, he practiced as a certified public accountant, licensed in Virginia.
- Represented developers, sponsors and investors in connection with a variety of transactions involving renewable energy projects, including wind, solar, open-loop biomass, landfill gas, refined coal and geothermal facilities qualifying for Section 45 tax credits for the production of electricity from renewable resources.
- Represented a publicly held geothermal developer in connection with the debt and tax equity financing and development of a series of geothermal electric generation facilities throughout the western United States.
- Represented a major automotive component manufacturer in a series of strategic acquisitions and dispositions involving operations throughout North and South America, Europe and Asia.
- Represented a variety of commercial real estate developers in structuring and negotiating complex, multi-level investment vehicles in connection with various multi-use commercial real estate developments in and around New York City.
- Represented developers, sponsors and investors in connection with numerous transactions involving the acquisition, placement and sell-down of coal-based synthetic fuel production facilities qualifying for Section 29 non-conventional fuel tax credits.
- Represented a variety of energy, utility and industrial clients in M&A, project finance and commercial transactions involving coke batteries and coke production, pulverized coal injection facilities for steel production, steel industry fuel production, surface and deep coal mining operations, and inside-the-fence electricity, steam, chilled water and compressed air production and other utility services for steel making, automotive assembly, paper manufacturing and other large industrial facilities.
- Represented a variety of publicly held real estate investment trusts in connection with M&A transactions, corporate reorganizations and the issuance of equity securities.
- Advised multiple international and domestic technology consulting firms in connection with variety of issues, including M&A, intellectual property and technology matters.
- Represented sponsors and investors in low-income housing tax credit and historic rehabilitation tax credit transactions.
- Represented purchasers and sellers in numerous M&A transactions involving both public and private companies in a wide range of industries.