For more than three decades, Mr. Powell's litigation practice has ranged from the nuclear regulatory field to environmental and toxic tort matters; complex intellectual property, commercial, fraud, and antitrust cases; and telecommunications issues. He has handled trial and appellate matters in state and federal courts and regulatory agencies in more than 15 states.
His recent experience includes serving as lead counsel in (i) a five-week trial involving the alleged misappropriation of highly confidential software designs; (ii) a jury trial of a multi-million dollar fraud and breach of contract action; and (iii) the defense of a major national retailer in a product liability suit brought by the parents of a toddler who suffered a catastrophic brain injury in a crib accident. He also served recently as co-counsel in major appellate litigation before the D.C. Circuit in cases involving national environmental policy.
Mr. Powell is rated "AV" by Martindale-Hubbell. He has been named several times by separate Virginia publications as one of Virginia's "Legal Elites" in the field of civil litigation and as one of Virginia's "Super Lawyers" in business litigation. He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court; the Fourth, Second, Eleventh , and D.C. Circuit Courts of Appeal; and the United States District Courts for Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia. He is a regular lecturer on federal civil procedure and litigation in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Regularly defends a major financial services company in consumer class actions and other litigation.
- Recently represented substantial public companies in separate RICO actions against labor unions, union executives, and affiliated labor organizations.
- Recently defended major energy company in complex commercial dispute involving allegations of fraud, conspiracy, and breach of contract.
- Represented a leading U.S. pharmaceutical company in major unfair competition and Lanham Act suit against foreign competitor and defending against antitrust counterclaim by domestic competitor.
- Represented lead defendants in Missouri dioxin litigation (8-month jury trial), Hipps Road groundwater contamination litigation in Florida, and Combustion litigation in Louisiana.
- Represented one of country's largest telecommunications carriers in state administrative and federal court actions in multiple states arising under the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
- Served as principal outside legal advisor to two start-up companies.