Peter’s practice focuses on corporate and regulatory representation of financial institution and financial service franchises. During the past several years, Peter has devoted substantial time to regulatory, law enforcement and internal investigations of financial institutions. He is Practice Group Leader of the Financial Institutions Section. He has counseled institutions on more than 150 M&A transactions, hundreds of securities offerings and capital planning, and hundreds of administrative and other enforcement actions.
- advised the first and largest online auctioneer and broker of oil and gas properties in the United States;
- representation of Wilshire Bancorp, Inc. in merger-of-equals transaction with BBCN Bancorp creating the only super regional Korean-American bank in the United States;
- representation of Bank of Cascades in the acquisition of 15 Bank of America branches;
- representation of Cascade Bancorp in its successful topping bid to acquire Home Federal Bancorp, Inc., a NASDAQ-listed thrift holding company;
- more M&A transactions than any firm over the last 14 years (according to SNL Financial, December 2014);
- number 1 in 2013 with 19 M&A transactions and in 2014 with 20 M&A transactions (according to SNL Financial, December 2014);
- hundreds of capital offerings;
- hundreds of fair lending, CMPs, and other enforcement actions;
- myriad compliance issues before all of the federal bank regulatory authorities, including the CFPB; and negotiations of administrative actions;
- testimony before Panel of the House Judiciary Committee regarding Operation “Choke Point.””
He has authored numerous articles in banking publications. His article, “Acquisitions of Failed Banks – Present Risk and Opportunity,” was honored by The RMA Journal in 2011.
For the last 16 years, he has co-edited ICBA’s Newsletter, “SUBCHAPTER S: THE NEXT GENERATION.” He has spoken at over 150 banking conferences and seminars.
Law Journal Articles
- Co-author, CFPB Issues Updated Guidance for Residential Mortgage Servicing Transfers and Alerts Servicers of CFPB Review of Servicing Transfers, The Real Estate Finance Journal, Summer/Fall 2014
- Author, Acquisitions of Failed Banks Present Risk and Opportunity, The RMA Journal, December 2010 - January 2011 (this article was voted the second best article appearing in the Risk Managers Association Journal of 2011; and a winning article for the 2012 Burton Awards for Legal Achievement)
- Author, Federal Reserve Requires Banks to Implement New Overdraft Procedures and Related Disclosures, Electronic Banking Law & Commerce, March 2010, Volume 14, Issue 8
- Author, Prompt Corrective Action, The Banking Law Journal at 317-324, April 2009
- Co-author with Stephanie Kalahurka, Health Savings Accounts and the Convergence of Healthcare and Banking, The Banking Law Journal, January 2008
- Co-author with Stephanie Kalahurka, Less is More: Changing the Regulator’s Role to Prevent Excess in Consumer Disclosure, 123 The Banking Law Journal, 99, 2006
- Author, Payroll Cards, Journal of Payment Systems Law, 2005
- Co-author with Stephanie Kalahurka, Overdraft Protection Programs: The Emerging Battleground for Bankers and Consumer Advocates, 121 The Banking Law Journal, 791, 2004
- Co-author with Christopher T. Klimko, Banking Law Developments, Southwestern Law Journal, 1991-1992
- Co-author with Christopher T. Klimko, Banking Law Developments, Southwestern Law Journal, 1990-1991