Tom represents clients in international arbitration and commercial litigation.
His experience in international arbitration includes representation of clients in investment and commercial arbitrations administered by the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (“ICSID”), and the International Chamber of Commerce (“ICC”) Court of International Arbitration. Tom has experience confirming arbitration awards in United States federal courts, and successfully obtained the first confirmation of an ICSID award on an ex parte basis granted in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. Tom has appeared in numerous federal and state courts, representing clients in a range of commercial matters involving business torts, contractual disputes, and statutory claims. Previously, Tom served as a trial attorney at the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, D.C., where, among other things, he served as trial counsel in a matter that resulted in a $14.75 million judgment against the defendants.
- Represented an African nation in an ICSID investment arbitration against claims it had (1) expropriated an investment; (2) discriminated against an investor; and (3) denied justice to an investor in violation of a Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Represented TANESCO, the electric utility of the United Republic of Tanzania, in an ICSID arbitration concerning a disputed power plant.
- Represented a Lebanese hotel development company in two ICC arbitrations.
- Selected for panel of approved investment arbitration counsel for the ministry of an eastern European country.
- Represented an investor in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia in an action confirming an ICSID award on an ex parte basis.
- Drafted multi-party arbitration clauses for multinationals, advised on aspects of investment arbitration, and counseled clients on the application of the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
- Trial counsel in a federal court action in the Middle District of Florida for contempt of court that resulted in a judgment of more than $14 million.
- Trial counsel in a Maryland state court case alleging the violation of state and federal statutes that resulted in damages award for client.
- Counsel in Maryland state court case concerning the construction of an LNG export terminal.
- Participated in the successful defense of a major student loan company against a state-wide, consumer class action in the US District Court for the Central District of California.