John’s practice focuses on corporate and securities litigation.
John’s corporate and securities litigation practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, securities class actions, derivative suits and corporate governance. He represents public and private companies, private equity firms, investment banks and company executives in complex civil litigation, securities class actions and investigations.
John has been recognized as “rising star” by Virginia Super Lawyers. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia.
- Fiduciary Duty and Corporate Governance (N.C.): Represented a Fortune 500 energy company and its board of directors in shareholder class actions in state and federal court in connection with a $13 billion merger with another Fortune 500 energy company.
- Fiduciary Duty and Corporate Governance (Cal.): Represented a Fortune 100 corporation in shareholder class actions brought in connection with the acquisition of a technology company. The action was dismissed on the pleadings.
- Fiduciary Duty and Corporate Governance (Md.): Represented a REIT in a class action brought by a preferred shareholder alleging a breach of contract and a breach of fiduciary duty in connection with a merger with another REIT.
- Fiduciary Duty and Corporate Governance (N.C.): Represented a private equity firm in shareholder class actions brought in connection with the acquisition of a manufacturing company. The action was dismissed on the pleadings.
- Securities Litigation (S.D.N.Y.): Represented a board of directors in a proxy contest with a group of dissident shareholders.
- Securities Litigation (S.D.N.Y.): Represented a former REIT in action by noteholders alleging various contract and business tort claims in connection with a repurchase of securities.
- Confidential RMBS Working Group Investigation: Represented an issuer of subprime RMBS in a government investigation relating to disclosures in RMBS offering materials. The matter was terminated without penalty after two years of investigation.
- Confidential SEC Investigation: Represented an underwriter of municipal bonds in an investigation regarding the accuracy of disclosures in the Official Statement.
- FDIC Litigation (S.D.W.Va.): Defended a bank chairman against FDIC claims of negligence and a breach of fiduciary duty following the bank’s failure during the financial crisis.
- Arbitration: Successfully defended an energy company over indemnification claims associated with its acquisition of a fuel plant.