He has experience with patents in a variety of fields, including semiconductors and electronics, software, computer networking and Internet technology, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, medical devices, automotive and nuclear manufacturing technology.
Michael also advises clients on data security and privacy issues. He is experienced in handling the investigative and legal response to network intrusions and data breach events and has represented clients in class action litigation and regulatory investigations involving claims arising out of these incidents. He also advises clients on liability issues related to the use of technology and the Internet, including issues related to cloud computing, online sweepstakes and related marketing programs.
Michael is admitted to practice in the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the 4th Circuit, and the US District Courts for the Eastern District of Texas, Eastern District of Virginia and the Western District of Michigan. He is also registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Represented a leading Internet company in a jury trial in the Southern District of Texas relating to claims that the company infringed three streaming media patents. Case settled favorably during trial.
- Represented an automotive manufacturer in the Southern District of Texas against claims that its manufacturing processes infringed a high speed laser welding patent. Plaintiff’s claims were dismissed on summary judgment following a favorable claim construction ruling.
- Represented a major electronics company in a four-week jury trial in New Jersey District Court relating to claims that the company infringed three semiconductor memory patents. The defense verdict was highlighted in The National Law Journal's 2007 Defense Hot List.
- Represented a manufacturer seeking an injunction against a competitor arising out of trade secret misappropriation and patent infringement claims in the Western District of Virginia. Case settled favorably after motion for preliminary injunction was granted.
- Represented a major international bank and payment processor victimized by network security breach and theft from ATM network during investigation and subsequent litigation.
- Represented an international retail chain following a network intrusion. Coordinated internal investigation, represented company in obtaining dismissal of multiple class action lawsuits, and represented company in response to FTC inquiry into data security practices.
- Advised multiple clients on legal issues arising out of credit card skimming incidents.
- Represented several companies in assessing risks associated with moving to cloud computing environments.