Sam’s practice focuses on litigation, with an emphasis on commercial disputes, consumer class actions, government regulatory advice and corporate compliance. He has particular experience advising manufacturers in advertising claims, as well as financial institutions and multinational corporations through multijurisdictional disputes and in connection with matters related to operations in the Americas and the Caribbean. Sam has also advised individuals and companies investigated by the government on criminal matters.
Sam serves as the firm’s head of litigation. Sam has trial experience in federal and state courts and domestic and international arbitration before the American Arbitration Association (AAA), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the AAA's International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), as well as multijurisdictional disputes. Sam has also assisted multinational companies with the creation, implementation and monitoring of global corporate compliance programs with specific guidance on issues related to Code of Conduct, Anti-Money Laundering and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. After earning his law degree, Sam served as a law clerk for the Honorable K. Michael Moore in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Represented a top European bank in connection with lawsuits and arbitrations filed on behalf of bank customers seeking recovery from the estate of Madoff’s brokerage firm related to an alleged international Ponzi scheme.
- Represented a US financial institution in a securities fraud class action filed on behalf of South American individuals who invested in an alleged Ponzi scheme in Florida.
- Defends individuals and companies in white collar criminal matters involving financial fraud and campaign contribution matters.
- Represented a large multinational beverage distributor involved in disputes over non-payment of stock.
- Represented leading multinational companies in connection with disputes arising from operations in South and Central America, including civil RICO claims.
- Represented a Fortune 500 manufacturer in defense of a national product liability class action.
- Government enforcement practice involves representing financial institutions, directors and officers in regulatory enforcement actions and actions by Department of Justice including responding to “15 day letters” on issues relating to the Bank Secrecy act, lending practices and debt instruments.
- Represents leading consumer goods companies in disputes relating to advertising claims including state attorney general investigations and consumer class actions.
- Conducted internal investigations and corporate compliance reviews for various Fortune 500 companies, including customer interviews and Code of Conduct review.
- Defended a US manufacturer of fertilizer in false patent marking cases as well as general contract disputes.
- Conducted internal investigation and defended company that employed alleged shooter at the Washington Navy Yard through investigations by law enforcement, defense agencies and Congress.